Thursday, November 25, 2004

Walking Where They Should Not Thread

I was able to catch one episode of America's "greatest talkshow" this afternoon. I'm not really into this form of entertainment- no matter how good they are, no matter if the host's name is Oprah. But this episode was really rivetting. Topic on hand: Married Gay Men Coming Out. Now if that wouldn't hook you, nothing can.

Oprah blurted out one statistic that really made my ears ring. There are 2 million heterosexual couples in the States. And take note of this. In 1 million couples, one of the partner isn't straight. Cold hard fact. The camera man, purposedly, panned out to the audience. Comprising of mostly married women, their reactions ranged from bug-eyed, mouth agape saying "No Way!" to i-knew-that-all-along indifferent faces. Imagine, nearly 50% of the married population?

This topic bombed due to the coming out of one governor from New Jersey. James McGreevey is not a hero. That's the first thing we need to get straight -so goes a newspaper headline, pun and all. Just the first line alone screamed bias against him.

Well, all due props to Oprah for her inquisitive yet highly neutral nature. She made it assure that the man who came out, who faced the cameras, and braved the millions of viewers on that show just to tell them all, hey, I'm here, I'm queer, get over it, that his plight is all but human. She was able to squeeze out the entire drama out of it. Most importantly, she was able to bring out the truth.

But of course I'm not saying what they did was ever morally right. But who can tell what right or wrong? Case in point one of the gay guys on the show, really loved his blushing bride. He gave her everything a girl could ever want. They were filthy rich, they were the perfect couple, they had a very active sex life. But the girl, couldn't give him what he truly wants. The moral dilemma is he could have lived his life, make his wife, his family, his world happy yet be totally in denial. Or he could come out, and possibly, possibly, destroy everything, yet wallow in the bliss of freedom.

The consideration is no longer whose happiness comes first. What it all boils down to is the truth.

But where is love? At this point in time I can truly say that I've lived out my life to the fullest. I've come to accept who I am and my sexuality. Through this, the weight has been lifted. Life is beautiful, and it needs not be compromised with lies. I have chosen to love and love again. Does it really matter if its with people of the same sex? But my eternal conundrum is: Given that I've been living my life in all honesty, going for people who I feel I need, had the prospect of love forever turned its back on me?

Beauty, Truth and Love. Can one not exist with the other?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home